Manchester United FAQ
When was Manchester United founded?
Who founded Manchester United?
Who owns Manchester United?
Who owned Man United before the Glazers?
Do Manchester United own their stadium?
What is the capacity of Old Trafford?
How long was Alex Ferguson manager of Manchester United?
How many trophies have Manchester United won?
How many times has Manchester United won the Champions League?
How many times has Manchester United won the Premier League?
Some interesting facts about Manchester United
There are lots of facts that every fan should know about their beloved Manchester United: They were the first English winners of the European Cup, the first side to win the newly formed Premier League in 1992/93, and currently they hold the record for league titles in the English top flight.
But there are other facts that are far more obscure. How many of these do you already know?
OK, so you will probably be aware that Welsh international Giggs holds the record number of appearances in a Manchester United shirt, having played for the club on an incredible 963 occasions across a 23-year career.
But perhaps you may not know that Giggs has also scored the fastest goal in United history, netting after just 15 seconds in a Premier League game against Southampton in 1995.
Manchester United paid Juventus a staggering £89.3 million for the services of former player Paul Pogba in 2016. That was the highest amount paid by a British club but did you know that they have now broken this particular record on 10 separate occasions?
The first player involved was Denis Law, who became the first footballer to command a fee in excess of £100,000 when United paid £110,000 to Torino in 1962. Since then, Gordon McQueen, Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Juan Sebastian Veron, Rio Ferdinand, Angel Di Maria, and Pogba have all broken the British record.
That list isn’t just a testament to the club’s spending power, it also underlines just how much of an attraction they are with the world’s best players all wanting to line up at Old Trafford.
Little or No Spend…
Although Manchester United have been big spenders for much of their long history, previous transfer records may not seem quite so incredible in the present day.
In January 1900, United paid just £40.00 to Ashton for the services of Gilbert Godsmark before making Glossop’s Leslie Hofton their first £1,000 player in July 1910.
By 1953, prices had increased to the point where manager Matt Busby was paying £29,999 to Barnsley for Tommy Taylor but from that stage, Busby had decided he had all the men he needed. From 1953 to 1957, he didn’t bring a single new player into the club.
Manchester United were one of the first English clubs to employ a manager from outside of the British Isles and Ireland. They have employed 29 confirmed bosses in their history, up to and including the appointment of Erik Ten Hag in 2022. The list includes one from Wales, 12 from England, one from the Republic of Ireland and seven from Scotland but it wasn’t until 2014 that they went into mainland Europe with the employment of Louis Van Gaal.
Jose Mourinho made it two when he signed up in 2016 and, with Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, Ralf Rangnick and Erik Ten Hag following.
An Unwanted Record?
Manchester United’s relegation to the old second division at the end of the 1973/74 season marked an unhappy period that is probably best forgotten. However, that campaign, as dismal as it was, contains quite an interesting record.
By the Christmas of 1973, United’s joint top scorer with two goals was their keeper! Alex Stepney had been pushed forward to take penalties in the absence of any other, obvious candidates.
What’s in a Name?
We all know Manchester United as the Red Devils but actually, this isn’t a nickname that goes back deep into the club’s history. You wouldn’t want to call yourselves the Reds as so many teams – including rivals Liverpool – adopt that particular one so there was a need to be distinctive.
It’s said that Matt Busby was the first to coin the name Red Devils during his long tenure from 1945 to 1969 and that it was taken from the Salford Rugby League team in the area.
So there you have it: some interesting facts from a long history that go to prove that not only are Manchester United the most successful club in Britain, they are one of the most fascinating ones at the same time.
Latest Manchester United Quiz Quiestions
- Rooney won the UEFA Champions League with Manchester United in which year?
- From which club did Manchester United sign Eric Cantona?
- From which club did Manchester United sign Wayne Rooney?
- How long has John Thomas “Jack” Irons been the mascot for Manchester United?
- How many goals did Cristino Ronaldo score in his first United debut match?
- How many goals did Ronaldo score on his second United debut?
- How many goals did Ronaldo scored for Manchester United in 2003?
- How many hat-tricks has Ronaldo scored in the Premier League?
- How many times have United won the FA Cup?
- How many times have Manchester United won the Premier League?
- How many trophies has United won In total?
- In the 1958 FA Cup final, Bolton Wanderers faced ManUnited. Which Bolton player scored the winning goals?
- In the 1984-85 season, Mark Hughes was Manchester United’s top goal scorer. Which national side did he represent?
- In the European Cup/UEFA Champions League’s history, how many times have Manchester United claimed victory?
- In which year did Ronaldo join Manchester United from Sporting CP?
- MU finished the 2020/2021 Premier League season in second place. How many points were they behind winners Manchester City?
- They signed Rio Ferdinand in 2002 from Leeds United. Which country did he represent?
- Mark Hughes scored United’s first Premier League goal. Which opponent was it against?
- Ronaldo has 145 ManUtd goals, which places him where on the all-time list?
- Ronaldo made his debut in a 4-0 win against which club?
- CR7 returned to ManUtd in 2021, which team did he score two goals against during his second debut?
- Ronaldo’s first hat-trick for Manchester United was against which club?
- Rooney’s first Premier League hat-trick for Manchester United came against which team?
- During his time at Manchester United, which number did Ryan Giggs usually wear in the Premier League?
- How many FA Cup titles did Giggs win with Manchester United during his career?
- How many assists did Ryan Giggs register during his Premier League career?
- How many total appearances did Ryan Giggs make for United in all competitions?
- In which season did Ryan Giggs score his most Premier League goals for Manchester United?
- In which year did Giggs make his first-team debut for Manchester United?
- Giggs won the PFA Young Player of the Year award twice. In which years did he achieve this honor?
- Ryan Giggs won the Premier League with Man United how many times during his career?
- What was Ryan Giggs’ shirt number during the majority of his Manchester United career?
- Wayne Rooney scored his first Premier League goal for Manchester United against which club?
- What is Manchester United’s nickname?
- During his time at Manchester United, Eric Cantona won the PFA Players’ Player of the Year award in which season?
- Eric Cantona was known for his volatile temperament. What led to his infamous kung-fu kick incident?
- In which year did Eric Cantona join Manchester United?
- One of Eric Cantona’s most memorable goals came in the 1996 FA Cup Final. Who were Manchester United’s opponents in that final?
- What was Eric Cantona’s shirt number during his time at Manchester United?
- Which player wore the iconic No. 7 shirt for Manchester United after Eric Cantona’s departure from the club?
- What is on the Manchester United badge?
- What is the capacity of Old Trafford?
- What is the name of Manchester United stadium?
- What is the name of the rivalry between Manchester United and Liverpool?
- What is the number of times Manchester United have won the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup?
- What league position did Manchester United finish in the 2001-02 PL season’?
- What was Manchester United stadium’s old name?
- What was the transfer fee Manchester United paid to sign Wayne Rooney from Everton in 2004?
- What year was Manchester United founded?
- When did Mancester United last win the Premier League?
- When did Manchester United win the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup?
- When was Billy the Goat the mascot of Manchester United?
- When was CR7 named PFA of the Year for the first time?
- Which Manchester United player has the most caps?
- Which club did Wayne Rooney join after leaving Manchester United in 2017?
- Which legendary English striker started his career at Barnsley FC before moving on to play for Manchester United?
- Who did Manchester United beat in the European Cup of 1956 10-0?
- Who is the longest-serving manager in Manchester United history?
- Who played the most matches for Manchester United?
- Who scored the most goals for Manchester United?
- Who was the manager of Manchester United from 1981 to 1986?
- Who was the top goal scorer for Manchester United in the ‘2005-06 Premier League season’?
- Who wasn’t ever the manager of Manchester United?